Thursday, February 12, 2015

DIY Heart Shaped Crayons

It’s almost Valentine’s Day and I wanted to share the Valentine’s Day treats Rowen and I made for friends and family last weekend!  A few weeks ago I did this post on no candy valentines for kids, and when I saw the adorable muffin tin crayons I knew we had to make them!  

Materials needed: (sorry I was so excited to start our fun that I forgot to take a picture of my supplies)
  • 24 pack of Crayola Crayons (a 24 pack easily makes 6 hearts)
  • Silicone baking cups (bought mine at Michaels)
  • Metal Baking sheet
  • Aluminum Foil
Start by preheating your oven to 250 degrees

Second, peel off the wrappers from each Crayon.  This part was actually trickier than I expected and ended up having to use an x-acto knife.

Third, break apart the crayons into small pieces (we put a variety of colors in each cup) and place about 15-20 pieces in each baking cup.  This was Rowen’s favorite part!



Once all your baking cups are full, place them on a metal baking sheet lined with aluminum foil (the aluminum foil is important)


Place the baking sheet inside the oven on the top rack for 10-12 minutes (or until the crayons are melted).

Remove from heat.  Try to be as steady as possible when you do this as you don’t want your molds to move around too much.  Place on top of  the stove or in refrigerator for 4-5 hours to cool.


Once cooled, slowly peel the baking cup away from your molds.


Ta Da!  Perfectly shaped multi-colored heart crayons…now you are ready to color!

I held a few crayons back for Rowen to play with and put the rest inside clear cellophane bags paired with a cute Dora the Explorer valentine card for each of Rowen’s friends!  


These crayons make the perfect Valentine's Day treats AND would also make awesome party favors at birthday parties!  We will definitely be making them again!

Shared with:

Happy Kids, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment